Intersecting Gable Roof to Ranch House

ryanb4614June 19, 2013

Hello all. I want to add a gable roof over my new porch I just put in. I just completed the framing for the porch today and will be putting composite board over it. I would like to build a similar roof over the porch. I am a DIY person, very fast to pick things up, I just want to make sure I am doing it right. I will not begin to build anything until I have solid plans. The porch was concrete and as high as the one in the picture. This was removed and replace and extended. The new porch is 7 ft wide x 6 ft.

What I plan on doing is putting in sono tubes for the two post. Anchor 6x6 post to these and then put a footer around the sonotube for the stone base. Then the area that will be covered by the roof on the house I plan to stucco, currently is old red brick..,.
Some help I need to, calculating the Slope, Calculating the Jack Rafters Height, is this a measure and go and cut ends at 45 degrees?

Big questions I have is. The boards that the common rafters sit on and is attached to the house where the gutters currently are, what are the called? how do I attach them to the house properly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Your going to need plans to submit for your building permit more than likely with an engineers stamp or architect so that may be a good place to start as you will be changing or altering the structure (roof and roof loads) of your home. And generally this would all be done in conjunction with the framing for the porch.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™