Artistic Pavers - Shellock or Stonelock

Sprstr13May 17, 2011

We are interested in using either Shellock or Stonelock Artistic Pavers for the decking around our pool. We really like the look of the pavers and available 12"x12" coping. We also like the Ashlar pattern they are laid in for the decking.

One of the pool builders we are considering recommends them highly and stated they are higher quality than the typical concrete pavers.

We spoke to another of the pool builders we are considering and he stated that his company stopped using them a couple of years ago due to quality issues w/the shells coming out and issues with the coping.

Has anyone used Artistic Pavers? How do they hold up over time? Are they worth the extra expense? Is travertine a better option?

Thamks in advance for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c9pilot

I just got Shellock because I love the shell and am very tired of regular concrete pavers. They definitely stay cooler in direct sun than our neighbors pavers. The Stonelock is pretty neat, too, but a
title harder to clean, according to the couple of PBs we talked to about it.
We haven't had ours long enough to judge durability, but they are used in a lot of commercial establishments here in Florida. The pool at Sarasota Yacht Club is surrounded by ivory Shellock and they have problems keeping it clean the very high traffic areas - where non-pool traffic passes by stairs.
I know shells are going to come out here and there. If it bothers me I can just fill it with grout. I don't think it's any worse than the chipping and wearing I see on concrete pavers.
Also, I don't think it's as slippery when wet as travertine. More than regular pavers which I think are often rough.
Hopefully you can see the real thing before you have to decide. I loved it when I saw a corner of an indoor showroom with it.
One local builder here had a showroom pool with it, which helped me decide.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 9:41PM
lizert

I am getting ready to purchase Shellock Artistic Pavers for my pool deck. Does anyone have this product and can you tell me the pros and cons? Was it slippery after being sealed? Do the shells come off? Anyone have problems with renovation coping? Any reviews would be helpful. Thank you.

Bookmark   March 10, 2015 at 10:56AM
c9pilot

After nearly four years with the Shellock, I still love it.

No, it's not slippery, and it stays pretty cool in the hot sun. A shell or two might've fallen out, but nothing noticeable.

Coping has been great. We don't have any stains, even from plants that have dripped on it. Some banana goop (from the cut plant, not from the goop) which stains really badly on clothes did drip on it, but a splash of muratic acid (when I was already adding it to the pool anyway) took the stain right out.

I would still recommend it to anyone, even though it does cost more (shipping, because those pavers weigh A LOT)

Bookmark   March 10, 2015 at 2:19PM
lizert

Thank you, I feel better about my decision already. Can you tell me if your coping was new construction coping, or renovation coping? (The renovation coping goes over existing tile and has a small piece that comes down over the edge). They use epoxy and pins (from what I understand) to attach the smaller edge piece to the coping. I'm curious if this piece comes loose at all. Thank you again.

Bookmark   March 11, 2015 at 5:37AM
PRO
Artful Pools Design and Consulting

Artistic pavers are considered the best paver around pools. The are higher psi than regular pavers, less sand joints and higher quality finish look. They were designed and manufactured by Dan Essig fro Essig Pools in Miami Fla. I have used for over 10 years with not complaints.
Mark

Bookmark   March 14, 2015 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
Would you recommend Fibre Tech?
Anyone with Fibre Tech experience like to comment?...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
6 ft. Diameter Garden Aviary - GA612-BJ
Hayneedle
Beige Stone Wall Blackout Window Panel - Set of Two
$29.99 | zulily
Brick Paver White Drum Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Black and White Garden Birthday Invitations - Set of Ten
$17.99 | zulily
5 ft. Diameter Garden Aviary - DC512-BJ
Hayneedle