Ikea kitchen --- is this possible??

carsonheimMarch 27, 2013

So yesterday I drove an hour and half to the nearest IKEA. I *love* the idea of using their cabinets and drawers as a "jumping off point" for a nearly-custom kitchen.

I'm in the process of building a home, and our style is very traditional. I know that there are companies that do custom drawer fronts and cabinet doors to work with Ikea cabinets. However, I'm wondering if my "dream kitchen" would work with Ikea....

Could I do something like this with Ikea???

Here is a link that might be useful: dream kitchen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

Well, it's walnut, but take a look at what vsalz did with ikea with more traditional doors similar to the detailing on those.

Here is a link that might be useful: walnut ikea kitchen

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:22PM
writersblock

Also, brickmanhouse's white kitchen, all done with stock ikea doors and considerable ingenuity:

Here is a link that might be useful: 1840's farmhouse kitchen

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:24PM
carsonheim

Wow, those are some stunning Ikea kitchens!

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:38PM
GreenDesigns

There are so many expensive decor elements in that kitchen that the % of savings by buying just the boxes at Ikea won't really save you that much. That's easily a 50K kitchen.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:58PM
carsonheim

Green -- I know! That's one gorgeous kitchen, right???? Of course, I don't have 50K to spend, so I'm looking at all the different ways possible to save. I figure if I save as much as I can on some things like the Ikea cabinets, then I can splurge a bit on other things.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:53PM
Molly Phillips

We did Ikea with custom doors. Our look is more transitional but I thought I'd give you a little perspective.

I really love the cabinets but the experience is/was sort of a hassle. Are you installing them? Know that painted custom doors are probably more than stained custom doors. In the end, we probably saved $3k over a Lowe's brand (and $8k over custom built quotes) but honestly, I still think more than once how nice it would've been to have just paid that extra money and have it all done at once.

For example - with Ikea, their light rails are, well, Ikea. So if you have real wood fronts, you'll probably want custom light rails. Ordering that ups your custom cost. We used a custom paint color so that increased our cost pretty significantly. Also, ordering something large like a fridge panel was super expensive to ship, so we're doing those big panels ourselves. Whew, that's a pain to try to match professional finishes. But I'll tell you that adding that fridge panel, a peninsula back panel, and all the end panels added $2k to our final bill (which would have pretty much negated any savings we had from using Ikea). We're having to use a friend who is a fantastic woodworker, so we're still paying someone to do the custom work on the custom work we've had done. There's another cost.

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there that it's a lot more work to do Ikea/custom and *sometimes* it's not as much of a savings as you would think.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:44PM
carsonheim

Lovetodream -- thanks for the input. Do you have photos of your kitchen? I'd love to see it!

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™