How to restore my fence?

abufishJune 9, 2011

Just move in to a home with really old fence (15 years). It looks black-grayish.

I did some research online says the best way is to power wash it, then apply some stain. But some friends told me I can apply semi-transparent stain directly to aged fence. Will that stain stay well? Any suggestions? Can I skip power wash? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbfirewife

You can do it... I just got thru doing my deck and fence and it looks brand new..mine is 9 years old.. Some people will frown on this but... I used mold/mildew cleaner that I got at Home Depot made by Armor All... used to be marketed as a "deck cleaner".. it is 2.88 a gallon, you spray it on with a pump sprayer and watch the old gray run off before your eyes.. hose it off very good afterwards. In some spots I had to put it on a couple of times to get it clean. I let it dry for several days and used Deckscapes semi-transparent oil based stain/sealer on my fence and deck so the color would match. I am more then happy with the results. I did brush the stain/sealer on.
Here are my results...

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™