Pool pump hums then switches off...

calikingApril 18, 2012

Hello.

After a big storm in Houston last weekend, I discovered that my pool pump was not working. The circuit breaker for the pump had tripped. When I reset it, the pump hums, then switches itself off. The body of the motor gets hot to touch.

I searched the web and figured it must be a problem with the start or run capacitor. Pool guy came today and replaced a capacitor. The pump ran for a few hours and then the timer switched it off. I came home after work and tried to run the pump again, but had the same problem - pump hums, then switches off, and the body was hot. Called the pump guy and he says the motor needs to be replaced, since it is shorting out.

I had a single speed AO Smith 2hp motor and was thinking of replacing it with the same. The pool is about 8years old. Any ideas for a better pump? Also, I read that I should replace the shaft seal and back plate seal if I am replacing the motor.

Any comments/suggestions/tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

It's likely the insulation in coils of the motor having broken down and now shorting out when it gets warm/hot. Replacing the seal set behind the impeller and seal plate and the motor are usually what are called for. Make sure the SF is the same if you are keeping the motor size the same.

Scott

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
lindamarie
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™