Cambria Windermere Experiment

Adrienne2011March 23, 2011

I purchased a 12x12 sample of Cambria Windermere (that's a quartz countertop surface) and put various things on it to see if it would stain.

On the sample, I placed ketchup, a frozen strawberry slice, blueberries and some blueberry syrup, a tangerine wedge, some bleach on a bit of paper towel, and some lemon juice on another bit of paper towel. Then, I drew lines with Sharpie permanent marker in different colors (because in my house, Sharpie accidents happen sometimes). I waited three hours, and then used hot water and a dishcloth on the Cambria. I used absolutely no cleaning product. Everything came off easily right away, except for the Sharpie. I rubbed that area with the dishcloth and noticed that the Sharpie marks were starting to fade, so I kept at it for another full minute. I was making really good progress, but I decided to switch to a Scotch scrubby pad (the green and yellow kind). With only water, the Sharpie marks came out, and the green rough scrubby pad didn't seem to leave any etching or scratch marks on the counter.

Here are the before and after shots (well, rather, the during and after shots). I don't know why they are so huge, because I shrank them down to about 350 pixels square, and they were much smaller at 100% on my computer before I uploaded them to Snapfish. Now they're fuzzy, too! Oh well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jgs7691

Wow - -this is countertop p@rn! Seriously, though -- I am debating between granite and cambria/zodiaq and this experiment is a HUGE help!

Love the pattern, as well!

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 5:57PM
nancy1020

I'm thinking of using Cambria Windermere, so happy to see that it doesn't stain. But I'm concerned about it being too busy. And does your counter look green because the photos on line (except yours above) look green.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 4:12PM
southernmum

so did anyone end up using Windermere Cambria? would love to see your kitchen if you did. thanks!

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 1:20PM
Xavi

We're planning on using it...saw a slab at the yard and it did not look green. Our kitchen should be completed in late June.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 1:29PM
a2gemini

I think we should add blueberries to the mix - but they don't stain my Cambria

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 5:36PM
ekbecker1

Thanks for the experiment! It's a beautiful looking material. Has anyone had experience with Cambria fading over time?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 5:39PM
ck_squared

I have 10 yo Welshpool Black by Cambria. No fading whatsoever.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 6:13PM
heidihausfrau

That is great information! Thanks! Our Cambria has only been used the last 4 days since we started moving things back in. Have to admit--I am babying everything. But I know that won't last long ;)

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???
I have seen several pix of DW been placed NOT next...
eleena
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™