Help with measurements..

caroline1947July 24, 2007

My mom bought me the square in a square book, and if I dont get help its going to be a waste of good money. She uses formulas i dont know how to calculate.Ill type the exact directions,maybe someone can give me the measurement I need.

Multiply the desired cut size of the HST by 1.414 and add 1/2 inch to get the size of the center square.Round to the nearest 1/8 in.

My cut size is 3.5 inches. I am lost. My calculator says 4.949,whatever that means,and thats before I add 1/2 inch which I dont even know how to do.Can anyone help?? THANKS!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vasu_texas

Caroline,
This may help:
1/8 = 0.125
1/4 = 0.25
3/8 = 0.375
1/2 = 0.5
5/8 = 0.625
3/4 = 0.75
7/8 = 0.875

I will try your calculation. I am not familiar with your block and don't know what it is calculating but according to your instructions:
3.5 x 1.414 = 4.949
4.949 + 0.5 = 5.449
rounding to the nearest 1/8 gives you 5.5"

I hope I understood the instructions right.
Vasu

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 3:50PM
caroline1947

TY Vasu, Ill try that...

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 6:22PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Caroline, Are you making a Square in a Square block from your Half-Square Triangles?

Here's another couple of ways to make them. I think the corner triangle (squares in the corner) method is easiest and doesn't give the seams in the center block like the HST's do. (jmo of course)

Hope this helps......

SharonG/FL-still in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: square in a square

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 12:02AM
caroline1947

Geezer, its just the opposite. The HSTs come from the square in a square. I think I just about have it figured out. I will never buy her books again. They are very hard to understand,then she has a video to help out. The book is really hard unless you get the video,,,sales gimic in my opinion..Grrr!!!

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 8:44AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Caroline, I think there are easier ways to make a HST. Take the size of the finished block, add 1 inch, cut a square of each fabric that size, put them right sides together, draw a line from corner to corner, sew a scant 1/4 inch from each side of the line and cut on the line. Open up your fabric, press and square up. I even chain-sew when I do them.

I'm glad you posted about this problem as this let's the rest of us know about this book. You might want post the author and actual title of the book so we will know to watch out if there are other books by this author.

SharonG/FL-MI

Here is a link that might be useful: HST tutorial

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 9:32AM
caroline1947

I have made hundreds of hsts...Just was trying all the options with the Square in a Square ruler...not sure I want to name authors on here, but the S in a S title will give you a clue..

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
What should I do with these?
I picked up this jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Fran Sajewicz
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™