Ipe Deck Tiles

dlowen7861May 12, 2013

Am trying to decide between Ipe deck tiles and a standard Ipe deck--my only concern is whether the deck tiles feel as "solid" as a regular deck--does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tashasilvester

Ipe Decking has an extremely attractive appearance and smooth, splinter free surfaces. It is durable and resistant against rot, wood boring, insects and fungus. Also it is free of visible knots and defects.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 1:47PM
nerdyshopper

I posted a similar request for Curupay deck tiles from ecoarbordesigns.com. Not one response. I don't think anyone at this forum has used tiles.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:32PM
dlowen7861

Thanks Nerdy--I just ordered samples and will see myself--I'll post my results.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:06AM
ianvest

Because the tiles are only 1' x 1' or 1' x 2' and are essentially a floating floor, they wont feel quite as solid to walk on as a thick lumber purpose built deck. But they are not intended as a replacement for a traditional deck. They are really designed to provide a quick and easy method of covering an existing hard surface. And if that surface is uneven (bumpy) then the tiles could 'rock' slightly on the surface so again they wouldn't have the completely solid feel like purpose built wood deck.

Wood deck tiles and composite wood deck tiles like those from handydeck.com have a bit of flexibility in one direction at least due to the plastic base, so can compensate for a little uneveness in the surface .

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:38AM
armada

i'm also interested in ecoarbordesigns, and outdure. Please update us if/when ecoarbor gets back in touch with you. link below for outdure if you haven't seen it

Here is a link that might be useful: outdure

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:46PM
armada

Just in case anyone is still listening here, I just spoke with Sean at ecoarbordesigns. They have a structural 24x24 deck tile, that when installed with a "curb" around the outside will provide a solid surface that won't move underfoot.

That being said their on grade decktiles clip together and provided you have a flat surface will also feel very solid.

No decisions yet but i'm leaning toward ecoarbor.
-adam

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™