Mixing Tigerwood and other hardwoods for railing

jdspatesMay 19, 2010

I have started building a tigerwood deck. All of the decking is down as well as the stair risers. We are to the railing. I ordered tigerwood 2 x 6 for the handrail and 2 x 4 tigerwood for top and bottom rail with dekorator ballusters. We were also going to go with 4x4 tigerwood posts but these have proven to be difficult to get. They have been on backorder for 30 days or so and it will be at least 3 more weeks if not longer. I can switch out the tigerwood 4 x 4 for Ipe or cumaru but the remainder of the rail will be made of tigerwood because I have already received those pieces. Does anyone have any opinions on which one would look better with the tigerwood. Thanks in advance for your help,

Jesse

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jacky5

I have ordered Tigerwood and received a very poor grade of Tigerwood with no streak. It looks terrible next to REAL Tigerwood. The company states all they guarantee is, that it is Tigerwood and only 40% of each container has 'streak' and that I must pay an additional premium for Tigerwood with 'streak' plus pay the shipping to return the crappy Tigerwood. I consider this a scam and misrepresentation....a bait and switch tactic. To Jesse I say AVOID the Tigerwood and do the large handrail in Ipe'. To those looking for Tigerwood, you are in for a rough ride! If you find a supplier that is honest please let us/me know.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™