Kool Deck Pricing

apsel3April 24, 2008

Hello. New Jersey PB quoted us $9.00 sq. ft. for kooldeck over concrete (roughly 1,200 sq. feet) and another $2,000 for a cantilever edge. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barco

First, its not real kooldeck because kooldeck has to go on top of "wet" concrete. Also the stuff that goes on afterwards is better. It sounds high but perhaps you need a lot of pre-work on the concrete or are you going with a pattern of some kind? If its a pattern than its not high. Its normally about $3.50 for plain-jane spray on coating on concrete that needs minimal or no work. It gets up to $9-12 if you are doing a flagstone pattern or something fancy with it.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 9:35AM
donaldv

You were not clear if the price of $9.00 a square foot was just for the Kool Deck topping or for the concrete with Kool Deck. If it is with the concrete it is a reasonable price, without concrete, it is not a good price. The price for the cantilever edge is out of line. I am assuming you have a fiberglass pool. The cost of a box of cantilever forms is no more than about $160, although there is more work involved putting in the cantilever concrete it's not worth $2,000.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 1:47PM
apsel3

$9 includes concrete. I have a steel-walled, vinyl-lined 18x36 rectangular pool. I'll find out what kooldeck application it is. There is no pattern though.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 1:57PM
barco

Ok, then $9 is reasonable. Concrete prices are between $6 and $8 per square foot now. They use to be around $4-$6 but the price of concrete has gone up. When you combine the two prices, $9 is not too bad. You might be able to get 50 cents a square foot lower on your final price but thats about it.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 3:23PM
nikkineel

"Also the stuff that goes on afterwards is better." We have Kool deck (poured onto wet concrete). I'm no pro but my experience is that the Kool deck is better when applied to wet concrete. We had planned on getting the Kool deck applied later for budget reasons; but our friend had hers applied later (actually sundeck) and it began peeling at the joints. She's had it reapplied twice. We decided to have ours applied when the concrete was still wet. So far, no trouble but I can't speak for the long term. Only to say that it is not peeling like our friend's deck.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 4:08PM
donaldv

Very few pool builders use the Kool Deck that is applied when the concrete is still curing. It had to be applied so thick to cover the grey concrete and by the time you textured on top of that, it was so thick that moisture could develop between the Kool Deck and the concrete which caused the Kool Deck to seperate from the concrete. The acrylic spray deck that most pool builders are using these days to texture, followed by painting seems to hold up best.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 1:31AM
summersgal

In our area of Oklahoma it is $5.50 Sq/FT. That is with Kool Deck put onto wet cement. We are waiting on the rain to STOP and dry out for ours to be finsihed. Heopfully this next week! Ours is app 1600 sq ft of decking

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 8:02AM
poolanalyst

Wholesale pricing in NC for new concrete decking is 4.50 S.F. and 2.00 for spray deck over new concrete(with color coat).The cantilever price could be a little lower as a discount with the whole deck price.Sounds like a fair deal for this time of year.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
New constructions questions
I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I...
vpace
Spa motor capacitor
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™