How to protect cedar pergola

rinahenMay 25, 2007

Help!

We just spend a good amount of money on a cedar pergola to replace the one that was there before.... (I don't think it was cedar)... anyways, we live in Southwest Florida and we have extreme heat and rain to deal with during summers... the pergola has been built approximately one month now, and we still haven't stained it.... mainly because of confusion on what to use on it... we want to use a semi-transparent stain, in a darker richer color.... there are so many different types of stains (with oils, without, etc...)... I'm hoping you might able to send me some suggestions on the best way to treat and paint our pergola for ultimate protection!!! Thanks for your help!

Rina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huskyridor

Sikkens is a Mfg of good sealer/stain. So is Behr for much less coin.
The best kind is that which you place on the lumber before the sun starts changing the natural color. The darker colors do better at blocking UV's.
If your doing it yourself look for a single coat application finish.
I'd encourage to jump on it as soon as you can.

See ya,
Kelly

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 11:00PM
kimcoco

Hmmmm...we have a cedar airing porch that was built, and we were told not to do anything with it for a couple of years. I'd ask around before staining it.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 4:14PM
rosiew

Rina, can't guide you re protection, but writing to ask if you'd either post or send me some pictures of your new pergola. I love the look of cedar and am planning a pergola here.

Best,
Rosie in Sugar Hill, GA

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 8:38PM
huskyridor

If you like your cedar shade arbor red follow my advice.
If you like them Grey don't worry about seal/stain or use a natural color(clear). No seal or a clear to light colored finish will not stop graying. There's simply not enough pigment in them to protect from the UV's.

I've built more than enough cedar fences, arbors, cabanas, decks, gazebos etc.. to tell you this for fact.
I've seen them go Grey in less than one summer here in Texas because my buyer opted not to pay me to seal/stain the lumber while it was still on the horses.

just my .02

see ya,
Kelly

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 12:00AM
nonaberrie

we used Ken's stuff on our ipe decking and 'wood defender' from Texas on our cedar fences and arbor. I don't remember why I finally chose the wood defender but do remember that I spent a long time comparing products before hand. Anyway our wood still looks great, there were some choices in stain color etc and the customer service for this co. was decent....no complaints. BTW we stained within 2 weeks of getting the structures up. I wouldn't wait to long before going at it. Also...Sikkens is beautiful stuff but isn't it film forming??
Nonaberrie

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™