Laying 4x4 over a cement slab

Roman RytovMay 25, 2009

I have a cement slab (11'x25') which I'm building a wood deck on top and extending it on the ground so the total deck's size will be about 500sq. ft. To make the entry door opening and avoid any steps the height for the joists over the slab is exactly 3.5" (on the ground it's about 8"). I'm building a compound frame consisting of 2x6 over the ground and 4x4 laying just on top of the slab and connecting with the 2x6 over the ground. I'm to anchor the 4x4 but my concern is water and moisture contact with the slab. I thought to use some mastic insulating the wood from direct cement contact but not sure whether it's a pragmatic approach. What do you advise? I probably can insert thin plastic shims between the 4x4 and cement.

p.s. I've been in this project for some time now so things seem obvious to me. Let me know if something is unclear or I missed anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redstone_2009

I would use some pieces of flat stainless steel or aluminum approx 1/8" or 3/16" thick to get that wood up off of the concrete slab to allow for ventilation and prevent water from wicking up from the slab.

I wouldn't use mastic. That will only wick the water up just like the concrete or itself. You need something that is impervious.

The other thing you're going to have an issue with is warping/twisting of the 4x4s. You will have to anchor it to the concrete every three feet or so minimum otherwise you're going to have a mess.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 9:16AM
Roman Rytov

numerous deck builders have to me me that the treated 4x4 is designed for water contact. although ideally to prevent it in my case I have little choice. i have no gap to provide real space but I'm assuring ventilation under the deck and keep the incline so water is not supposed to stay there. I'm anchoring 12' long 4x4 by 4 5" lag screws each (so it's roughly 3.5" distance). It seems quite secure. I'll post pictures later when I'm done with it. Drilling 2" long 5/8" radius holes in concrete is no fun...

thanks for your input!
-Roman

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 6:29PM
homebound

Sure, they can get wet, but it's helpful for them to dry evenly. Without elevating them, the bottoms of the 4x4's will always take longer to dry than the tops. There can be some issues down the road, esp. with dirt accumulating.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
Sponsored Products
Worlds Away - Troy Arm Chair In Cream - TROY CR
Great Furniture Deal
Camelot Razzle Dazzle Gold 31-Light Clear Gemcut Pendant, 28W x 40H x 28D
Bellacor
Harrowgate Katrina Silver Mirror - 35W x 49H in. - DM1975
$318.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Ancestry Ivory/ Red Wool Runner (2'3 x 14')
Overstock.com
Meridian Table Lamp
Lightology
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights Power Pack Outdoor Black Low Voltage 120-Watt
$43.62 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™