Cataract Surgery is In My Future

country_bumpkin_alApril 26, 2012

I go May 17h for a cataract "evaluaion". What is that and what can I expect at the evalation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

There have been a couple conversations about this. You might get some good info from these two links as well as anything else posted here. Best wishes for successful surgery.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchentable/msg0119255723725.html

Here is a link that might be useful: cataract surgery

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 3:37PM
Cassandra

I had cataract surgery on March 14--check the threads socks posted for lots of comments. I assume the "evaluation" is the prior appointment in which the doctor will assess your need for the surgery, explain the procedure and expected results, and consult with you about the type of lens implant. For my situation only the monofocal was recommended; however others have had the option of a multifocal and a lens that corrects for astigmatism.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 3:42PM
kayjones

Country, I sent you an email.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 8:56PM
dedtired

I had both of mine done last December. The procedure was quite simple. However, I got monovision and I am not happy with it. I am going back for the YAG laser procedure in a couple weeks for secondary cloudiness. I wish my experience had been as trouble-free as most.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:17PM
kayjones

Ded, I had to go back 2 years after my surgery to have the fluid drained behind my implants - the doctor said most people who have cataract surgery experience this and it's considered 'normal', but that it shouldn't ever occur a second time.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 10:04PM
glenda_al

Best wishes and good luck thoughts!

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 10:41PM
kfca37

I had cataract surgery on my right eye about 6 years ago. After about 3 years, I noticed "clouding" again, so it was retreated with laser as mentioned above.

The original surgery was like real, though short,outpatient surgery---no afterward pain that I recall. The laser treatment was over quite quickly and, pretty much, a piece of cake.

My eye surgeon told me that about one-third to one-half of cataract patients have to get the additional laser treatment post-surgery, and my timeline was usual.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 11:00PM
RuthieG__TX

Not a difficult surgery and now I have glasses just for reading....For shopping I use one contact (mono-vision) in my left eye..

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:44AM
yayagal

I had both of mine done six months ago and now I have 20/10 vision. Don't need glasses at all, it was easy peasy and we even went out to lunch after I had each one. It took about five days to see perfectly although you do see an amazing change right after the surgery. The evaluation is just that, he looks at your eyes and tests them to decide if you're ready for the surgery.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:06AM
phyllis__mn

You might see color change, also. I THOUGHT I had a grey house and a grey car. Well, it turned out they were both blue!

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 8:00AM
jannie

I've known two people with cataracts-my (late) Mom and my husband. Mom did nothing about her cataracts except take vitamins (lutein). She was totally blind at the end, "pretended" to watch TV and would spread a newspaper in front of her. She kept TV on a news channel so she knew what was going on. Hubby had two cataract surgeries. Both went well-good healing, minimal pain. Docs implanted different lenses in each eye to give him "acceptable" vision without glasses-one eye good for reading, the other for distance vision.The brain is supposed to sort things out. He no longer drives but WAS able to pass DMV's vision test. He was very happy. One warning, after the surgery, don't move your eyes around. Don't try to read or watch TV, anything that would make you move your eyes. Just rest and keep your eyes as relaxed as possible. And use the prescribed drops as ordered! Good luck!!!

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 8:41AM
dedtired

You have to wear a goofy looking plastic shield over your eye for the first day and then at night for a week or so. It kind of looks like a plastic colander, with holes. I got tired of the drops but of course kept using them faithfully as prescribed.

Thanks for the encouragement about the YAG laser procedure. I'm not really worried about it. I just wish my brain would adjust to monovision but after four months, I doubt it. I am thinking of getting a contact lens for the near-distance eye to try to even things out.

I no longer have glare when driving at night and that is just wonderful. I also rediscovered color!

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:13AM
linda_in_iowa

I did not have to wear a shield over my eye. I also was able to read and watch TV right after surgery. It was a piece of cake. We went out to breakfast after my second surgery.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:43PM
gailr

A friend, age 64, had cataract surgery/lens implants in both her eyes about a month ago. After getting new bifocal eyeglasses, she says colors she sees thru the eyeglasses are less colorful, less vibrant, look almost "greyed over". She takes off her glasses to view her flowers or watch TV and the colors are much brighter & colorful.

Any ideas as to why this might be so? She is having a heck of a time trying to get eyeglasses that work good for her after her cataract surgery.

Thanks!

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:55AM
country_bumpkin_al

I had surgery on my right eye June 11th! No problems at all! Last visit, he told me I had some "hazing", but it wasn't unusal. It can be corrected with lazer.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:24PM
mary52zn8tx

I am taking my mother today to have her left eye done. She had her right eye done in August. The surgery wasn't all that bad, and she didn't have much pain at all. I hope it is the same today.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 7:36AM
Mickey15

I had mine done almost 2 years ago. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I had horrible eyes, almost failed the license renewal test the last time I took it. There was no pain whatsoever. The most pain was getting the IV in. And no eye patch. Actually, we left after my surgery and went straight to Cici's for lunch! You will love it and be so glad you did it!
Oh, and if I remember right, the evaluation was just checking your eyes out, and then talking about how much the cost will be with your insurance, etc.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 8:31AM
OnAHolliday

Knock 'em dead C.B.!!! May is a long way off so you have a lot of time to train for it. *grin*

(Rocky Theme) Just me over here cheering for you!

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 2:18PM
RuthieG__TX

I had mine done several years ago and have really enjoyed the results. I have to wear reading glasses for serious reading but most days I never have to put them on. When I go shopping, I wear one contact (mono-vision) in my left eye...better than readers on my nose. I can tell you I was thrilled not to have to wear glasses any more. It is pretty easy surgery.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 8:08PM
lindaohnowga

I have Pre-op tomorrow, then surgery on the left eye Aug. 7 and right eye Sept. 18. The only thing I dread is all the eye drops. Hubby will have to put those in for me. My closeup vision is fine. It's distance vision that is not good. I've opted to keep my good closeup vision but will need glasses for distance. That's not a problem, as I don't drive any more. Implants will be the same. I didn't want one eye for closeup and one eye for distance.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
The outdoor hose problem
It always kinks, no matter what they say!! Does anyone...
sjerin
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Do you wear your outdoor shoes indoors at home?
In my neck of the woods, during snowy winter months...
stacey_mb
Today is a tough one
My husband died 14 years ago today All day I have...
satine_gw
Frustrated
I can not see bookmarks, file etc anywhere . That is...
grams33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™