Ideas for extending stamped concrete patio

cmb123ncMay 11, 2014

When we bought our house, it came with a small, square stamped concrete patio off our deck. My husband would like to make the patio much bigger (with a fire pit), but wants to do something with flagstone. He doesn't want to rip out the concrete (thinks it would be a waste of $$), but I'm concerned it would look odd to have two different materials (concrete turning into flagstone.) Has anyone else dealt with this? What options do we have? Is there some way we could make some sort of division so it wouldn't go right from concrete into stone? We're open to ideas and we could really use some feedback - and if you have any pictures, that would be great! Thanks in advance!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

That's a tough one! We bought a house with the plain small concrete patio original to the house. Later another owner installed a sidewalk next to it in a different finish. Next, we extended the entire thing with plain concrete, brush finish. We ended up getting a contractor to paint it all light gray, tape random rock shapes, skip coat all of it, then stain about 5 colors to imitate flagstone. Once they pulled off the tape and sealed it, it's pretty amazing! One cohesive patio!

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™