my deck and ledger board

analogmusicmanMay 25, 2014

so my house was built in '79 and of course the codes weren't as strict as they are now, especially concerning decks. I'm concerned about the deck since it sits about 8' above ground. I'd like to strengthen the connection between the "ledger board" and the "rim joist". Im thinking the code back then only called for it to be nailed.I guess new construction has to have "carriage bolts" in a certain pattern but of course that's impossible with a house that's already built. maybe lag screws? from what I'm reading,the codes are tough now because of some decks that have pulled away from the house and collapsed. that would be an utter disaster for me since the deck is so high above ground.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

imagine that,nobody seems to know what a "ledger board" or a "rim joist" is! :-)

    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think we know what they are. It just isn't clear what you are asking! Are you asking whether building codes in your area allow for the use of lag bolts?

    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As Dennis said, your post didn't seem to really be asking a question.

But since you want a response, I'll ask some questions.
I guess new construction has to have "carriage bolts" in a certain pattern but of course that's impossible with a house that's already built.
Why do you think that's impossible? Do you just mean more difficult?
maybe lag screws
Maybe. Have you asked your permitting office what is required?

Are you wanting to bring your deck up to code or just make it better than it currently is?

I'm looking at the picture you posted and I'm wondering why you posted it. How is that supposed to help? A close up of painted wood?!? :)

    Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 12:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The main reason for deck failure is the deck coming away from the house. Lag bolts may help but without knowing the structure, you cant be sure.

The best way to do it is some sort of Lateral bracing. Simpson has a bracket for this but you need to be able to get at the inside of the house structure. If you want to be safe, this is the way to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simpson lateral support.

    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 5:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

it is true that the current codes call for some latteral bracing the does for the most part requre getting to the floor joist on the inside. However, it is highly likely that your house was built with a solid rim joist on top of the sill plate and the adding of Ledger Loks through your deck ledger into the house rim will do a tremendous amount to keeping your deck attached to your house.

    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 12:05AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
Sponsored Products
Ridgecrest Arch Outdoor Plaque
Grandin Road
High Capacity Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Sydney Flat Top Deck Box - C39548BBLK
$299.00 | Hayneedle
Montana Woodworks Chairs Exterior Finish Patio Log Rocker MWLRV
Home Depot
Pearl Heart Shaped Candy Bowl
Classic Hostess
Vineyards 12'' Cutting Board
$8.99 | zulily
30'' Brown Cameo Deck Planter
$9.99 | zulily
Gizaun Art Special Delivery Inside/Outside Full Color Cedar Wall Art - SED1624
$79.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™