Promax screws for Ipe

thinkstoomuchMay 5, 2009

I'm considering using Promax 305 stainless steel screws (McFeely's) for my 1x6 Ipe decking. I will be plugging all screws.

The concern I have is that the smallest screw length is 2 3/8ths. From previous posts, several people think that length is fine. But these screws have a longer portion of unthreaded shank (1 5/16ths). Will having a significant portion of the unthreaded shank going into the PT joist cause a problem?

Thanks All!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brooklyndecks

They are great screws, but if you're plugging, get the promax nocorode...2 3/8". No need for stainless, unless you live by the ocean.

steve

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 5:29AM
aidan_m

The purpose of the unthreaded part of the screw is to help pull the deck board tight to the joist. The unthreaded part needs to extend past the thickness of the decking into the PT joist. The screw will snap at the top of the threads as soon as the head seats if some of the threads are still in the hard deck board. So the unthreaded part of the shank needs to be a bit longer than the thickness of the decking to avoid breakage as you snug the decking tight with the cordless impact driver.

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 11:11AM
thinkstoomuch

Thanks Steve and Aidan!

Aidan - I understand what you are saying. Can I assume from this that using the 2 3/8ths on a 1x6 won't cause problems? It's only a problem when you use a screw that is too short and the threaded part remains in the decking board?

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™