Pressure washing bad for deck?

jvanMay 22, 2009

I've been told not to pressure wash my deck as it would make it more likely to get splinters. Is that so? I plan to stain my deck, perhaps I should just brush it with some bleach water.

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexh1000

When I moved into my house the deck was all black so I pressure washed it and it will tend to raise the fibers or make the wood fuzzy, at least on softwoods. When I put the finish on, the fibers layed down but this will probably shorten the life of the finish somewhat.

Also, it tends to gouge out the areas between the grain.

If you have to pressure wash you want to use a moderate pressure machine which may be had to find.

I would use commercial deck cleaners - which ones depends on what if anything is on your deck and what condition it's in. Normally it's a stripper (some recommend it at half strength even if there's no finish on your deck) and a lightner. Brand doesn't really matter IMO since there all based on the same chemicals. These are available at the home centers.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexh1000

jvan,

I would pick a stain, and then follow the recommendations on the factory website (usually more info than on the can).

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
decorative Concrete porch floor over concrete?
We poured our porch a couple of years ago, thinking...
DruidClark
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™