Travertine Pavers, how to set in northeast

nypoolnoviceApril 20, 2011

Well, 2,300 SF of 24"x24" travertine pavers just arrived in crates in the driveway. It seemed like a great idea on paper. Now, maybe not so much.

Anyway. We're in NY. I was planning to set these on 6" of well graded compacted crushed subbase (known as "Item 4" around these parts), and an inch of stone dust. But, the pavers have a sawn edge, and we want to install them tight together with no gap. That will match the coping and we like the look.

Anyone have any experience with this type of material in the Northeast? I don't want to be resetting it after a couple of freeze-thaw cycles. Specifically, it wont take much movement of a 24x24 paver to make the joints look and feel sloppy.

Thanks

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Use a deeper base, frost line depth is best. As I recall, you are on Long Island. 12" compacted in 4" lifts. Add stone dust in a 26" width to set the 1st row, then 24" widths for each successive row. Your dry laid travertine will look great. Hire a couple buddies, feed them well and save the beer for later or less will get done, the job will take longer and the food and beverage bill will go up.

Scott

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vabeachdesigner

You should not be concerned or worried. Follow the installation advice at this link: travertine paver installation

Here is a link that might be useful: travertine pavers

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™