How to remove Thompson's WaterSeal on a deck?

Syl22May 22, 2013

Hi,
I installed the Thompson water seal product on my cedar deck last year, and since then I have many problems; the surface is sticky and it collect the dirt; the colors between the gallons where unequal and the so is the deck. Then I decided this year to change the product, and what I discovered is that this stuff is nearly impossible to remove, I tried all the deck cleaner and striper on the market, and none of them were able to dissolve the ThompsonâÂÂs sealer, even the strongest Thompson striper canâÂÂt remove its own product. I have to remove this stuff because nothing can stick over it, somebody have a trick?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Sandpaper.

I've posted some threads on this!

Faron

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:05PM
millworkman

Sand it as mentioned above, then you will need to chemically treat it if your going to refinish.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 9:20AM
Syl22

I tried to sand it but with no result, the Thompson's water seal product is sticky like warm paraffin and it instantly clog the sandpaper. So here is the only recipe that worked for me...

1. Remove the product with a real wood striper, i used "Super remover" this product can dissolve about anything, wear gloves and glasses. Apply and scape.
2. Use a green abrasive pad with "Super remover" and scrub the surface.
3. Sand the surface. It will still clog the sandpaper but it will work.
4. Use a green abrasive pad with âÂÂThompsonâÂÂs water seal heavy duty deck cleanerâ and scrub. It will clean the surface and let it with an even color.
5. Rinse with water.
6. Refinish. I used Sikkens SRD with a good result.

The result will be good but be ready to work hard about one hour for each ten square feet of surface.

The best advice is keep away of that stuff.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:02PM
Faron79

Sanding alone does just fine.

Make sure you rent a Vibrating-flat-plate sander, and use 60-grit paper. 80-grit after that is totally optional, but may help wood benches, etc.

Faron

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 3:28PM
deckowner1

I have found a total solution for removing Thompson's Water seal from any wood surface. It is a degreaser, safe for nearly every surface, and it completely removed Thompson's water seal from my 800 sq ft deck. It is called EC 1800 and is sold by EcoChem. Here is a link to their website. http://www.ecochem.com/t_1800.html
EC1800 is completely natural and biodegradable and works like a charm.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:41PM
deckowner1

I failed to mention that using EC 1800 is very easy. Simply brush it on, let it stand for 20 minutes and lightly scrub, then rinse with heavy spray from a water hose or light pressure wash. It does not harm any plants or animals and leaves the bare wood ready for a new product. You do not have to apply any chemicals to reset the ph balance in the wood before applying a new sealer. EC 1800 contains no chemicals, therefore, does not alter the ph of the wood.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 11:25AM
Amberoni

The EC-1800 work great for removing Thompson's water seal. How ever the name of the product is different. I spoke with this great lady on the phone and the new name is ESHC- Hydrocarbon Cleaner by a company called Earth Smart Solutions. They used to be EcoChem but bought out the company when the old owners retired. But I must say that this is a great product i even had some product left over and tried it around my house for cleaning!

Here is a link that might be useful: ESHC- Hydrocarbon Cleaner

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
new aluminum decking install 2014
We have an elevated 570sqft deck about 10ft above grade....
k_rider
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Sponsored Products
Large Rectangular Cedar Planter
Signature Hardware
Bolster Solar Powered Remote Control Fountain with Light
Lamps Plus
All-Weather U-Shaped Tufted Outdoor Chair Cushions (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Mailys Pink 18 x 18 Animal Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Mini Faux Mink Stocking
Grandin Road
Ruched Black Faux Mink Pillow 24"Sq. - BLACK
$98.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Berber Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Contemporary
$89.97 | Home Depot
Charles Petite Leather Sofa in White
$999.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for: