PB's -Question on Multiport Valve issue..

thejimbarApril 28, 2011

Have a Praher SM20-2 Multiport Valve (Pentair?) on our Jandy DE filter. After first backwash of the season was completed and valve reset to "filter", I started up the spa and noticed quite a bit of water coming out of the backwash line. Shut down the pump and rotated the valve to backwash and then back and tried again, same result. After moving the valve around a bit, I did finally manage to get the backwash water to stop.

Is this a result of a bad gasket? Something that can be replaced easily? Or is it just because it was the first time since closing that the valve had been moved and it just needed to soften up a bit again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. New multiport is around $200, not bad, but would rather replace a gasket if I could...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

The rebuild kit is R0444000 and about $70 for the Jandy version but I don't know if they are the same. If racket or Kelly see this, he might know.

Prayer makes the multiports for Jandy and others.

Scott

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 6:00PM
kspoolman

The SM20 is pretty easy to fix.

Just take the bolts off and see if your "spider" gasket is seated properly in the bottom half of the valve.

Typically, when water is jumping over from one vein to another, you have a gasket issue.

Could also be the spring not pressing the diverter plate firmly down on the gasket. Sometimes you get DE and other debris in the diverter stem that keeps the plate from seating all the way down. Just clean it up and maybe lube the stem.

Should be an easy fix. Dont spend $200 when a $10 gasket or a little cleanup should fix it.

-ks

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:13PM
memama_gayle

I am not a PB but had the same problem. Did as KS said above. We removed the screws and removed the top, lodged in the spring area was a(swollen)seed....which we have lots of! Put it back together and it has been working great since.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 6:11AM
More Discussions
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Pool resurface question
I am having my pool resurfaced and the supplies were...
lbrandt5
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
Sponsored Products
Flood Lights. Solar Goes Green 50 ft. Range Outdoor White Industrial Solar Flood
Home Depot
'More Issues Than Vogue' Wall Sign
$7.99 | zulily
Natural Burlap Small Oval Lamp Shade 6/8x11/14x11 (Spider)
$24.99 | Lamps Plus
Authentic Models Yacht Ironsides Small
Classic Hostess
Nourison Regal REG05 Area Rug - 5501
$795.00 | Hayneedle
SteamSpa Saunas & Steam Units Indulgence 7.5kW Steam Bath Generator Package in
Home Depot
Nourison Home and Garden RS022 Area Rug - 11258
$112.99 | Hayneedle
Gama Sonic Wall Mounted Pagoda Outdoor Black Solar Wall Lantern GS-104W
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™