Flooring for an Unheated Enclosed Porch in Maine

clagaMay 25, 2012

Hi,

We purchased a 6 month seasonal home May 1st to October 31st; 1 miles from the ocean in Maine. The 10' x 12' enclosed porch has a 5/4 pressure treated deck floor with approximately 1/8" to 1/4" spacing between the boards over a concrete floor crawl space.

We want to cover the floor to keep out the bugs and make it a place for additional sleeping/family room.

We like the laminate wood look, but are not sure if it can take the temperature ranges, summer to winter.

Really don't like the indoor/outdoor carpet look.

Looking for recommendations. And suggestions on how to put the floor down. Does it need a vapor barrier, etc.?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim418

I have a similar situation but am building on a an outdoor deck frame in Kingston, Ontario.
Laminate is out because of humidity and freezing.
Vinyl tile shrinks (permanently) when if freezes.
Could do slate, but am worried about the weight.
I like cedar but I don't want space between the boards which is required for expansion.

So I am ending up with a remaining option of "plastic" wood. This product looks interesting, but I haven't priced it yet: http://www.trex.com/plan/products/porch/trex-transcend-porch/index.htm

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 8:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonnyp

Hardy board attached with 2.5" screws to the joists thru the decking, ceramic tile.As long as the tile is not exposed to the elements (freezing and thawing of water)you should be ok.
Go to a tile supply house(not a box store) and let them know you situation, they will set you up with the right materials.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Screening in deck - clear roof options
Hi all I'm thinking about screening in an existing...
claudialina10
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™