How high can a raised patio be?

hackwriterMay 14, 2009

Because of the slope of my house's property, my basement in the back is at walk-out level and my kitchen is one story up. My back steps are crumbling, and I want to replace them with a deck. When I had my front steps fixed, the contractor suggested doing a cinderblock structure instead -- a raised patio with a stucco finish. He said it would be less expensive than doing a deck. That struck me like an awful lot of essentially concrete wall, but I was wondering if a raised paver patio could be done. It would certainly be a lot more aesthetically pleasing. If not that, then perhaps a cultured stone finish. We're talking about a raised patio of about 8' high. Does that sound feasible/reasonable to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

You see high retaining walls along the roadsides frequently. But, the techniques and materials are not DIY.

To do this for a patio will require VERY heavy stones and regular "deadmen" set into the firmly compacted backfill. Speak with a reputable stone mason. BTW, I can't imagine that a deck will cost more but the look cannot begin to match.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 7:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2ajsmama

Wow, 8ft? We want to do a similar thing - have 4ft in corner now by slider (modular home was designed for 11ft slope but we hit ledge and ended up with less, moved walkout to end). We could fill a bit more but would still have about 3ft drop coming out the door - would love to do multi-level deck or patio stepping down to grade on left hand side (where foundation is only 6" off grade). Let us know what you find out.

What are "deadmen"?

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™