Filter system question

shootnparApril 21, 2012

Hi,

I currently have a Sta-rite system 3 filter system, but am looking to replacing it. I'm looking for something that is more energy efficient, and where the replacement filters alone, don't cost as much as the whole system. I have a salt water pool, and the new filter should be compatible with my current Jandy box for programming, etc.

Any suggestions, I like the filter type, but the filters run around $400 minimum to replace, but maybe theres a better system, same type, that is more cost friendly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Filters are passive devices as far as your automation and chlorination system.

How old are your cartridges and what makes you sure they need replacing?

Scott

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 5:23PM
mas985

The Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter has the lowest head loss of any filter on the market so you really can't get more efficient than that filter. However, you shouldn't need to replace them that often either. Besides Scott's questions, what model pump do you have?

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:38PM
muddy_water

If D.E is not a problem in your area for backwashing I would look at the Pentair FNS plus with a Multiport valve. This is what I have on my personnel pool with a IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump and I do a tear down clean the grids once a season and may backwash it twice a season if that much and thats because of pine trees near my pool. I have installed these filters in almost every build also over the last 6 years.

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Pentair

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 9:25AM
mas985

The FNS plus with a 2" backwash valve will have about 4.5x the head loss as the OPs current filter so not very energy efficient. But then again, most sand and DE filters are not very energy efficient because of high head loss.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:03PM
muddy_water

Well then go with the Quad DE

Here is a link that might be useful: Quad

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:36PM
mas985

The Quad DE is a little better but still over 3.5x the head loss of the current filter. If you leave off the backwash valve it is only 1.5x the head loss so the backwash valve adds a lot by itself.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 3:19PM
muddy_water

The DE filters run a little more but being able to backwash and not have to clean the cartridges is a big plus and I have customers that are running the same grids for over 6 years. This combined would make the homeowners Pool maintenance costs off set I.M.O.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
Well, the Big Dig did not begin Monday. Our PB stopped...
suzfromtexas
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
J.L. Blodgett abandons pool project
I wanted to send along a note of caution to all members...
ctm14
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™