Sports Pool or Traditional shallow to deep end?

southernmumApril 2, 2011

Hello pool lovers - Hoping to start our 2nd pool build after our move in a few weeks. The one thing we're debating about is pool depth. We currently have a 3ft shallow end that goes to 6ft. deep end. I have three kids, now approaching teen years, and they do like to jump in. We always stress to them and their friends it is NOT a diving pool, etc. Anyway, I'm now really liking the idea of a sports pool, as we play a lot of volley ball and someone always gets stuck in the deep end. Also would love more shallow, "usable" space. However, my kids really are hoping for a deeper end, like 8 ft. or so. I truly think after the novelty of a deeper end wears off, we'll all be hanging out in the shallow end again. Would love to know what you have, and the pros and cons of each. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keithintx

I went with the advice of a neighbor that has a deep end. He said we would never use it after the first year. We go from 3 1/2' to 5 1/2' in the center to 4 1/2' on the opposite end. Works perfectly.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 4:15PM
poolguynj

If you have the budget and space for it, an L or dog leg shape can give you both.

Scott

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 8:43AM
southernmum

keithintx, those sound like very interesting depths. Never thought of doing it like that.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 1:53PM
houseful

We did L with a diving board. No regrets!! The kids and their friends use it all the time. Ages range from 16 to 5. I loved it when I was little and I still love it at 29 (wink)!

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 1:49AM
southernmum

Although we have plenty of land, due to the outdoor fireplace and patio that's already there, an L shape just wouldn't fit the space properly. I'd love an L shape though, then it's a win-win! Pretty sure we need to stick to a rectangle shape in our space. Still torn... I personally want more shallow, but with three wild and crazy boys (and all their friends), I don't want anyone to get hurt diving into too shallow of water. Hmmm..

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
New constructions questions
I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I...
vpace
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™