Using Plexiglass for Patio Cover?

romandubApril 3, 2007

Has anyone used plexiglass as a cover for a patio structure or pergola? Our contractor suggested using tinted plexiglass as a roof for a pergola-like patio structure. We are worried that it might look cheap, get scratched and/or damaged, might be hot, etc. I'd appreciate any feedback from BBers who have experience with this idea. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

I've seen polycarb.Interesting. Did they have a suggestion of where to source it?

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 12:44AM
john_hyatt

I have used LexAnn with good sucess. The box stores sell a knock off called suntuff for some unknown reason I have trouble with that stuff leaking with out a lot of silacone over each screw. J

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 7:57AM
tomplum

Do you have a a good source for lexan you could recommend?

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 12:31AM
john_hyatt

I have a local supplier for the Lexan corrugated pannels, a person could google up for your area. J

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 8:25AM
Birgit

Sorry this message is a few weeks out. We ordered 1/4" polycarbonate, also known as Lexan (don't use plexi, it's not really strong enough and it will cloud easily) on top of our pergola beams over our hot tub (clear). The builder didn't get it all done before winter, but we've had some of it up for 4 months and it still looks fine. I used Pierce Ohio companies for our order and had no problems.

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/polycarbonatesheet.html

We ordered the contractors 10-pack of 4'x 8' sheets (we're covering a 13' x 17' space. It was a bit salty (around $1,400), but they packaged it very well, and it arrived via semi truck fairly quickly. Overall, I'm happy with it (if only I could keep the birds from flying over it).

Birgit

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 7:56PM
tomplum

Please post pics birgit!

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 12:34AM
john_hyatt

Hi ya Birgit!! I used some 4' x 16' honeycomb lexann pannels for a job in Houston put together with H chanell ghessss what a pain to install those grometed screws have to be screwed down exactly right with no dimple down/ still flush with the panels. This was a job for the Tax Laywer,bless her heart she condecends to do my work. It came out real good but its a lot of work even for this ol guy.
Lexan is really strong they make windshields for the Nascar Cup cars out of it. Install this material one time/ never worry again. Cant say the same with the knock off stuff invest in the real thing.

That job is on my site under redwood deck with lexann roof it has a sunburst detail. www.deckmastersllc.com its being rebuilt so forgive a few voids in the picture area. John

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 6:14PM
Birgit

Just posted some pics in a new thread ... called Ipe Pergola Update w/Poly ... Pictures.

Thanks,
Birgit

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™