Dryer vent under deck - how to vent

susanilz5April 28, 2014

We have a 22 year old 16' x 24' cedar deck which is approx 2 feet off the ground. Our dryer vent comes out under the house and vents under the deck. The vent runs 14' through the house to get to the outside. The deck boards have a slight space between them and the skirt of the deck is open lattice so air can pass through.

We are in the process of rebuilding the deck with cedar. Our contractor wants to put a cedar skirt around the base of the deck. He says he would have to run the dryer vent out from the house to the end of the deck if he puts a skirt on. He also intends to butt the cedar deck boards close together because he says they shrink.

I'm concerned about possible problems with extending the pipe out side in our cold midwest winters and hot and humid summers. The contractor thinks the skirt of the deck will look nicer then the lattice and dosen't seem too concerned with running a dryer vent pipe outside. I'm not sure how many feet but if he runs it straight out it would add at least 16' which seems like a a very long run for a dryer vent.

Am I worrying over nothing or should I be concerned about his plan?

Thank you!

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

If you check the spec on your dryer I think you will find that you will be exceeding the ability of the dryer to move the air to dry effectively. Each load will take longer and therefore be more costly. I'd suggest that you look into a booster fan. Tjernlund makes about the best of them in my opinion. Watch their video on operation. You could take the 4" exhaust pipe (try to use smooth walled ridged pipe) and insulate and sleeve it with PVC on the portion under the deck. The vent should not terminate under the deck

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 4:32PM
susanilz5

Thank you for your reply. We decided to skip the solid wood skirt around the deck and keep the lattice. We did
not extend the vent out of the house into the elements.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 10:14PM
cold_weather_is_evil

Through the roof!

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
Please recommend finish product for reclaimed redwood deck
We are installing a redwood deck in our new build and...
honu3421
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
Sponsored Products
Himalaya White Bolster 6x14 5oz Pillow
$124.00 | Bellacor
Household Essentials Drying Racks Parallel Dryer Steel 2-Piece Pole 30-Line
$70.97 | Home Depot
Belham Living Palazetto Cast Aluminum Club Chair - Set of 2 - 22-80003-AW
Hayneedle
Himalaya White Boudoir 12x16 5oz Pillow
$90.00 | Bellacor
Broan-Nutone Lighted 20W x 22.25H in. Medicine Cabinet 455FL - 455FL
$317.99 | Hayneedle