Diesel fuel and motor oil deck treatment???

autom8rApril 10, 2009

The good ole boys down home in Tennessee swear by a mix of 50% diesel fuel and 50% used (or new) motor oil or transmission fluid, depending on the desired tint, sprayed liberally on the deck. I tried it on one of our douglas fir decks last year and other than pissing my wife off till she got over it and having the deck smell like a truck stop for a week or so, it seemed to work great. I didn't walk on the deck for a few days till the brew soaked in. They tell me it needs to re-applied every few years when the color fades.

Has anyone else ever heard of or tried this method??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Yup I have!! the forest service in Eugune Oregon wiped used transmission fluid on most all the benches they placed out in the woods in their park areas.

Same kinda deal with using motor oil as wax on your car,it takes a little wipping but it works.

You got to figure the bugs will hate it,might get a little uv protection from used stuff>the micro metal particlesNot really a market item for most Folks, but you got to figure in the John Mon rides a Harley. Would I do it on my deck out back of the lake house???? Hell Yess!!! Just for the sake of getting away from all this S&i$$tt I deal with on a pro nature every day.

Keep the rubber down and the paint up... J.

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 8:40PM
outdoorliving.ws

haha, that's great. I live in Tennessee and when I saw the title, I thought, wow, my step dad would love this post! He treats all his fences and barns this way!

And it's a good way to use up all that old motor oil.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 2:56AM
sierraeast

Neighbor up at our build has cedar siding on their house. He sprayed it with that same mix and hasn't touched it since the early seventies when they built and appearantly it's still repelling good as new, 4500' sierra nevadas!

He said something about shell oil or chevron having a pre-mixed product you can buy for treating wood(s). I didn't check into it because you can use up what you have, mix up your own!

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 4:13PM
casey_wa

I have a bunch of old motor oil that I was going to recycle and this is sounding like an interesting idea. I am curious about comparing it with the contents of commercial deck treatments. Sounds like the motor oil/diesel combo is less toxic.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 4:54PM
john_hyatt

Nice rides Sean Go Get Em man, open wheel is nice,NASCAR is better! Just Kidding!!!!!

Cant compare the two Sean total different thing in a Com market for a lot of green mafia reasons and the Wallet would never go for the sent/setup time. Far as the content goes that would be intersting. J.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 8:20PM
sprugh_hughes_net

I tried it on my barn and got lightheaded and nauseated with the diesel fumes, also, the sprayer kept clogging up. What kind of a sprayer did you use? I just had a gardent type pump sprayer. HElp! susan

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
Any experience with aluminum decking?
We're considering one of the watertight aluminum decking...
dmnmnky
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Sponsored Products
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Rust on Cast Aluminum Exterior Wall Lantern
$78.63 | Home Depot
Majestic Home Goods 20 x 20 x 8 Large Outdoor Pillow - 85907220820
$37.45 | Hayneedle
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Weathered Bronze on Solid Brass Steel Ext
Home Depot
Marley Off-White Curtain Panel - 108" x 96"
$695.00 | FRONTGATE
Bolt Satin Nickel 66 to 120 Inch Double Curtain Rod
$82.95 | Bellacor
Sun Satin Nickel 28 to 48 Inch Curtain Rod
$29.95 | Bellacor
Next Innovations Flying Eagle Wind Spinner - 12 in. - 101108003
$35.98 | Hayneedle
Coolaroo Canopies Coolhaven 15 ft. x 12 ft. x 9 ft. Right Triangle Sahara Shade
$78.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: