Need new pump/filter for 22,000 gallon gunite pool

geosulcataApril 18, 2013

Our pool was built in 1971. We need a new pump/filter. The old pump got a hole in the casing. The motor still works, but we are looking for something that will save us on operating costs. We currently have a 1.5hp. Our energy costs are around 12 cents/kwh. We also have the original fiberglass, tall filter with pleated cartridge. We aren't sure what size filter to purchase. Everything has 1.5" connections now.

We have been quoted $1400 for a hayward variable flow pump, $500 for a pleated or hayward sand filter, and a salt water system was suggested for around $600 or a clorine tablet attachment for $100. Labor is $80 an hour. This all comes to more than the cost to build the pool in 1971 :) Times have changed!

I am clueless about the best system that will have the lowest operating costs. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muddy_water

I would try and go with Pentair equipment the link below will help you with costs if you know your KWper/hr off of you electric bill cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool pump calculator

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:49PM
melisa95

I am a totally Hayward person. replacement parts and repair are cheaper and easier!
The prices you posted are about right. where are you and I can give you more info!

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 12:46PM
mongoct

I just went through the same thing. Gunite and plaster pool, about 24000 gallons.

Upgraded my old single speed 1-1/2hp Pentair Whisperflo pump with a Pentair VS pump.

Replaced my Pentair Clean and Clear 240 cartridge filter with a Pentair Quad DE 100. The filter could easily be considered oversize for my pool, but the Quad DE will filter better than the old C&C, and the larger size will give me longer runs between cleanings. I like the "hybrid" aspect of the Quad DE. The ease of cartridges, the filtering of DE. I'm going to direct-plumb the filter, meaning no multi-port valve.

I don't know much about Hayward, but I highly recommend the move to the variable speed pump. If they offer a 2-speed pump that might save you money on pump coast and running costs.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 1:38PM
muddy_water

If you have never had a Mutiport-valve you missing out on alot of convenience in operation.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™