rotted exposed outdoor floor joists

seventhfishApril 8, 2014

porch on front of house is held up by floor joists coming from the house(Raised ranch). Several are rotted about an inch or two down. Is it feasible to cut the top inch or two inches off these 2x8 boards,and then put a treated piece of lumber on top? I could then epoxy the new top piece to the rest of each joist,then put new wolmanized wood deck on top? I would also put water seal on existing joists,as they were installed in 1962 and they are not treated. Question: Are the joists still safe? Porch is only 4 feet wide,and 26 feet long, on 16 inch joists. Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seventhfish

Does ANYBODY read this site at all??

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 8:20PM
millworkman

Getting nasty is a good way to get advice..............

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 9:03PM
seventhfish

I wasn't trying to be nasty. I was serious. It seems like low traffic.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 8:13AM
weedyacres

This is one of the slower forums.

I don't think gluing PT wood to non-treated wood is a great permanent solution. I'd lean toward something like cutting all the joists off and re-framing the whole porch with a PT structure.

How high is it off the ground? Do you have a photo you can post?

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:22PM
seventhfish

I have no photo, but it is a narrow porch and is supported by itself, as the joists support the porch deck. There are no beams holding it up.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 2:41PM
weedyacres

I understand the current structure is cantilevered. My thought would be to put a few posts in the ground, a ledger board against the house, and new joists, all out of PT.

Another alternative, if you've got access inside the house below the porch level, would be to sister new joists to the rotting ones, securing them well inside the house.

OTOH, if it's been 50 years, the joists still feel very stable structurally, and you're just dealing with 1-2" of rotted joists that make the porch floor springy, then you could probably extend the life cheaply by sistering PT 2x8s to the exposed portion of the existing joists, after cutting out the rotted portion.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:41PM
cold_weather_is_evil

Just determine what's going to show and what's not. Go with what weedyacres said. It's a choice between patching and R&R.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:51PM
seventhfish

If I sister on each side of rotted joists, is there an epoxy, or something I can put between the sisters,and on top of the original joist? Also, is there a membrane,or something I could put over the joist and the sistered 2x8s?

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 4:30PM
weedyacres

You don't need to sister on both sides; one side is sufficient. No epoxy needed, just nail or screw them together. You could put a waterproof membrane (like window flashing or something) over top of the joists to prevent future water damage. But keep in mind that PT wood is treated to withstand water and insects, so it shouldn't have the same rotting tendency of the original non-treated wood.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™