Need Help with Backyard Design. Ideas?

elliots11April 6, 2013

Hi Gardenweb. I'm having trouble designing my backyard. Initially there was a deck back there, but when I moved in it was rotting away. It was torn out. Now I'm hearing that if I want to build a deck I have to build up for ventilation, or dig down.

DECK ISSUES
Elevating the deck is going to add stairs, eat up space, and generally suck. Digging down I'm not fond of, because even if I do I don't believe I can get 12-14" of ventilation without potentially having adverse effects on the foundation which only goes down 16" from the present dirt level. Not to mention it's expensive. A contractor has suggested putting down metal joists and putting decking on top of that, but we're only looking at less than 6" of ground clearance. I'd wanted to use ipe or mangaris, but being so close is going to shorten it's life, and low maintenance is what I'm all about.

DECK ALTERNATIVES
So now I'm thinking about concrete squares or rectangles, spaced out a few inches with gravel in between. It should look modern. A big concrete slab will make it look like an alley because I have a big concrete retaining wall. I'm open to that or any other ideas, but I want it to go with the modern design of the house, and retain as much useable space as possible. Grass is out because of the way the light is back there, plus maintenance. I'm no longer married to the idea of a deck, that's for sure.

Anybody got any ideas for me? Picture attached!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elliots11

Picture 2

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 6:21PM
elliots11

Picture 3

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 6:23PM
weedyacres

Definitely a patio instead of a deck, since the entry is basically at ground level. Pavers would be an option.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 1:39PM
Tim01

I work at TimberTech Decking and we have some great tools that might help if you are looking to go the deck route. Check out our Deck Designer online http://timbertech.com/idea-starters/deck-designer/default.aspx.

If you have other questions about low-maintence decking - check out Straight Talk. You can ask your candid decking questions and get honest answers from the experts at TimberTech.

Here is a link that might be useful: Straight Talk Forum

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
Buckling Deck and Hidden Fasteners
I've got a deck that has expanded to the point of buckling....
ruben_d
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
armada
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
Sponsored Products
Burlap Print 7 1/2" Wide Brushed Steel Mini Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Miniature Hill House 1 by Vitra
$325.00 | Lumens
Cobblestone Runner 2'6" x 8' - TANGERINE
$269.00 | Horchow
'Be Awesome' Box Sign
$6.99 | zulily
Spider Back Accent Chair - 94031
$340.00 | Hayneedle