Calcium levels and pool chemistry

kitamimanApril 2, 2011

So - we are finally filling up the pool, so for the first time in my life I am messing with pool chemistry. FYI, pool is fully tiled gunite with SWG.

First and major concern is calcium. Fill water is basically rainwater from a cistern, and initial test gives calcium of 50 ppm, which I gather is low. Problem is that in my location I do not have easy access to pool shop or chemicals, so while I know it needs calcium chloride I cannot easily get my hands on it. I have read that the low calcium level will make the water aggressive. Pool is fully tiled in 1" tiles, so there is a lot of grout.... How fast can damage happen? Do I need to be looking at flying in a sack of calcium chloride asap, or can it go as it is for a few weeks/months? What is the absolute minimum calcium ppm in my tiled pool to be able to sleep nights? There is some limestone locally - would a block in the deep end be sacrificial??

Also confused about total alkalinity/PH. Total alkalinity is currently 80 ppm, which suggests borderline OK (?) or possibly to add a little more alkali (baking soda), whereas the PH is 8.00, requiring acid....(?) There seems to be a conflict here....

Any help much appreciated. I am totally new to all this and flying solo with the help of Google and this forum - huge thanks to all who have responded to previous posts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Rather than go through pool chems, I suggest you read what I consider the best on line pool school at www.troublefreepools.com to get a proper understanding.

Scott

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
Sponsored Products
Tub and Tile Cleaner 2-pack
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Starter Cleaning Set
$24.99 | zulily
Mr. Coffee WFF Replacement Water Filter Discs (Set of 12)
Overstock.com
Aquasana Replacement Filter for Countertop Water Filter
$59.95 | FRONTGATE
Calphalon Replacement Charcoal Water Filters for Coffee Machines (Set of 12)
Overstock.com
Humboldt Nutrients Equilibrium Natural - HNEQ404
$20.96 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™