PT Pine - sealing and staining

renna44April 16, 2010

There's a posting titled something like "I've had it with deck stains"... which is exactly how I feel about my fence. Granted, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this stuff, but if I could just get a clear picture of what I need to do, it would be FAB-U-LOUS! My dad says one thing, my uncle another, HD another, & I'm so confused.

Here's my question(s) - I am having a 6 ft pressure-treated pine, dog eared fence installed in May. I live in the south, w/sunny and humid summers. I want to have the fence stained a cedar-ish. Ok, so -

Should I wait a certain time frame after it's installed to have it sealed/stained?

Is sealing & staining one in the same? Is there a product that does both? Or is this 2 seperate steps?

Is the purpose of sealing it to help resist moisture? And the stain-- simply eye candy?

What is the best product to use? Something w/an oil in it to penetrate best?

If I use a semi-transparent stain, can I just re-apply stain in a few years when it starts to fade?

thank you - THANK YOU.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Dont wait for anything but good weather to put the finish on an outdoor project.

Finish will not help the normal factory pannel fence job last any longer than it would with out it because the stringers are not weather resistent lumber.

Quality outdoor finish has uv,water,and mildew protection provided. Using them is a one step deal. I use TWP 100 series.
www.wooddefender.com and www.woodrich-brand.com sell quality outdoor finish as well.

If you are using factory pannels and want to try to extend the life,use one of the above and soak the area where the stringers are in contact with the pickets...a couple of times... then place the finish on the whole pannel.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™