Pool Automation Question(s)

golfer38April 22, 2011

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any response.

I have a large pool (50x25) with a waterfall and no spa.

My Heater is a Lochinvar ERN-402 (400K BTU) @ 240V, 1Amp

Pump #1 (for pool) in line with heater is a Hayward SP4030 3HP FR @ 240V, 30Amp

Pump #2 (for waterfall) standalone, is a Hayward SP4015 2HP MR @ 240V, 15Amp

I also have 2 pool lights @ 120V each.

I also have a couple GFI outlets.

My system now runs itself off a spin dial type timer with the pins that can be manually adjusted for on/off.

The pool is about 13 years old and over time, I replaced the heater and both pumps.

I would like to automated my pool this year with a remote capability. I do not want to change out any valves but would like to be able to turn off/on each of the components as well as work the thermostat of the heater (I read where the Lochinvar has that option).

I have read a handful of posts in here but most of them deal with systems that control the valves (which I do not need to do).

I have googled these type systems and still confused on which is the best option. I am pretty handy, so I am not worried about having to rewire my system, I just want to do it once with the right equipment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim (Maryland)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kspoolman

Any of the major pool equipment manufacturers have computer systems with wireless or wired remotes that would work for your system.
Many of them do have the ability to utilize valve actuators, but you dont have to connect them. It would simply be a com port on the pc board that you wouldnt use.

For your setup, just hard wire the pumps into the breakers, breakers to relays, and relays to the pc board. All of your equipment could be run this way.

Typically lights are run on 110v, so you would run one hot, one neutral through a GFCI, and one ground.

Heater would need com wire/firemans switch to the computer. The computer would be equipped with temp sensors and the heating control would now default to the computer. Set your physical/local thermostats on the heater itself to the highest setting (typically 104�), the computer will control the actual temp, cycling the heater to maintain whatever temp you program.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 4:43PM
poolguynj

Your best bets is a Pentair Easy Touch 4 with a wireless remote. You can sell the valve actuators it comes with. You can also order it with an IC-60 salt cell for not much more.

Scott

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 5:50PM
kspoolman

Scott makes a good point, valve actuators go down all the time, shouldnt be hard to sell them!

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™