Signs of a well going dry?

mommafryeDecember 1, 2008

What are the signs of a well going dry?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjb999

Umm lack of water? Couldn't resist. Seriously I would think an increase in sediment and the pump drawing air or something like that. Hopefully somebody else will have more answers. I suspect if you're asking (what symptoms are you experiencing?) you already know the answer :)

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 8:27PM
mommafrye

So far just the water has become a little dirty.

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 8:58PM
shadetree_bob

I have an irrigation use only, shallow well and sometimes after a hard rain or a long period without rain the water gets cloudy. Generally the water clears after a few days of rain, or no rain depending on the cause. My intake is only about 40' down, with about 20' of head.

How deep is your well and what kind of pump and how much head. Has this been going on for a long time? Does the water pressure drop or the flow dwindle after some period of time, if so how long.

If it is just dirty water with no other symptoms then that means you probably have a leak in the casing which is letting in ground water. That is not good if you are consuming the water, but ok if you , like me, are only using it for irrigation.

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 9:21PM
mommafrye

The well is 225 ft deep. I think jacuzzi submersible for the pump. It started last night but it happened back in late July or early August for a day. We have been in a drought for a couple of years. The water is oderless and tasteless.

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
giantsean
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™