Sherwin Williams DeckScapes ??

tim_pool_newbieApril 17, 2010

I've just built a cedar deck as part of a beautiful backyard pool project, and want to find the proper sealer/stain to use on my new deck, without breaking the bank either. I don't mind having to re-apply every few years. The deck was finished just prior to winter setting in, it's still bare cedar wood and so now that it's getting warmer, I need to clean it and get it protected ASAP.

I've read many of the forum posts and I think most of you will agree that everyone has their own opinion on each of the products available out there.

While there is some consensus on certain products (like stay away from BEHR), I haven't seen too much regarding Sherwin William's DeckScapes line. Does anyone have an opinion on these products??

Will they get the job done at a reasonable price, or are they crap, and I'll be stripping and re-applying something else in a year or so?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tim_pool_newbie

As a follow-up to my post, I was out looking at some products today and found out Sherwin Williams is going to have the Deckscape products on sale for 20% off next week. This makes the price of their product actually cheaper than even some of the stuff sold at the big box stores.

But now I'm confused between Oil vs. Water-based stain for a cedar deck. Is one better than the other for a brand new cedar deck?

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 11:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

I have never used the SW product.

Most of the time a person is better off with an oil base outdoor finish. However I was very pleased with the twp water base. J.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
Buckling Deck and Hidden Fasteners
I've got a deck that has expanded to the point of buckling....
ruben_d
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
to ipe or not to ipe?
Folks - I'm planning to redo my front porch and would...
tim_spivak
Sponsored Products
Kyoto Wall Sconce by Fire Farm
$348.30 | Lumens
Uttermost 17084 Teak Wood Fish Sculpture
Littman Bros Lighting
Square Wall Sconce by Fire Farm
$263.70 | Lumens
Uttermost Caminata Blue And Tan Glaze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Ellenton Table Lamp
$162.40 | Bellacor