Smelling sewer in lower level & outside

SnailLoverDecember 12, 2013

Recently I started smelling a sewage smell in the lower level where the laundry and bathroom are. I first noticed the smell last week coming from the pipe that the washer drains into. Now it's worse and the whole bathroom next to it smells. I can't pinpoint the smell in the bathroom. It's down low near the floor. I don't smell it in the sink or shower drain. Outside the smell is down low against that side of the house. I don't smell it where the drain field is.

It's been very windy and cold here, in the teens this week. The smell got worse when the weather got colder. The toilets are flushing fine and the sinks are draining as normal. No signs of backup that I can tell, except for the smell.

The septic was pumped and inspected this past July when I bought the house. I only noticed the smell when it got cold and windy. People have told me it's just sewage gas from the stack vent, but I'm worried it's a worse problem.

Opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

If you just bought the house, and the laundry is downstairs... is there maybe a floor drain in the laundry room somewhere you don't know about that needs to have water poured down it to "seal" the trap?

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnailLover

kirkhall, I don't see any floor drains down there. I think the shower drain and washer pipe are connected though (they're about 5 feet apart). A friend told me to pour water into the shower, which I did, and the smell got better in the bathroom. I still smell it in the washer pipe. It did get better after I washed a few loads of clothes. At least it's not stinking up the entire basement now.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Sponsored Products
Citrus Small Pendant
Lightology
A & E Toddler Mobile Bookcase - 500324C
$322.00 | Hayneedle
Model 4114-55: Hilden Warm Mahongany Twelve-Light Pendant
$934.56 | Bellacor
Elizabeth Aubusson Rug 6' x 9' - IVORY/LIGHT BLUE
$769.00 | Horchow
European Legacy 300 Thread Count Gussetted Density Pillow in a Pillow
Overstock.com