Replastering and changing out tile estimates

RandommApril 25, 2013

We live in the Seattle area and have only found 2 companies who replaster and upgrade gunite pools. The costs seem outrageous and I was wondering if these estimates are average cost or should I keep looking for more bids? Our pool is 18 x 28. The first bid estimate for just replastering is $9,250 plus tax. To replaster and retile is $15,140.56. The second bid estimate for replastering and installing 2"x2" surface bullnose tile on edge of pool, spa steps and benches is $13,680 plus tax. To replaster and retile everything is $23,680 plus tax. I'm so frustrated and these costs just seem so high. I am at a loss on what to do... Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glitter_and_guns

What kind of surface are they putting on? Just regular plaster or something else?

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:07PM
dogmason

If you want to break out the tile and pool coping from the pool interior plaster redo then get an estimate from a stone mason and tile setter with a good reputation. Pool coping is not specific from any other surface and neither is the tile accept the old plaster has to be removed first. However , tile grout for pools may be specific.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:18AM
MiaOKC

It seems that pool renovation is highly geographically dependent, and in areas where there are not a lot of pools, there is not a lot of competition so there is no downward pressure on the pricing. I've found that in my area (OKC) and when I hear what people in Dallas (just a few hours away!) pay for some of the same pool services I am green with envy.

I would suggest you keep looking for bids. Talk to neighbors/friends at school/work/church/Facebook etc. and put the word out that you are looking for a company to renovate your older pool. Maybe they can hook you up with some more companies for quotes as well as recommendations.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™