Flush beam and dropped beam combo

JimApril 22, 2013

I have attached ledger boards (either side of bay) and continuous with existing deck. I had planned on two beams: one 5'6" from the ledger the other 6' 6" from the first, both using (2) 2x8. To use the existing grade I want to use a flush beam configuration with hangers to the first beam and than run the joists over a dropped beam for the second (farthest from the ledger) to accommodate a 2' cantilever, In addition to avoiding grading issues I would than be handling joists lengths of only 8-12 feet, a big plus as I work alone as a DIY. As I could not find a reference to this combo of beam types I wonder if I am violating some basic framing principles?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dennisgli

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to do. Maybe a diagram would help.

My deck is cantilevered three feet in two directions.

I had to use two LVL beams. There's a 3.5inch wide one that runs straight out from the door. And a 5.25inch one that runs diagonally from under the door to the corner nearest the camera. The company that supplied the beams had a structural engineer that signed off on the design to the satisfaction of the local building inspector. It took several iterations to come up with something that they would approve. The diagonal beam made the framing a bit tricky but it sounds like you won't need to do that.

Anyway - the LVL beams let me do something that my contractor thought was not possible!

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde

I don't see an issue. It's no different from framing a screen porch with a perimeter beam and then hanging the attached deck joists off that. What does your permit authority say? At the end of the day, they're the ones you need to please.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™