Leak in Hydronic Boiler Piping

jon-5bDecember 15, 2012

This is my first winter in a new house. The heat has been on for a little while now, but today I noticed a leak in the boiler piping that I hadn't seen before. It's leaking at a rate of about one drip per minute right now, cold. The boiler and piping in question is three or four years old. I've included photos below. By the looks of some of it, it doesn't seem like the leak is particularly new, but I've definitely never seen any of this wet before.

What do I do here, who do I contact, and what should I expect?

Thank you!

This post was edited by jon-5b on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 23:40

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

Heating Company that installs and services boilers. $100 to $300 depending on if you have isolation valves or they have to drain the whole thing.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:02AM
brickeyee

That is a REALLY BAD solder joint.

The problem is that the entire system is likely to have to be drained to get that line water fre.

Them some pipe replaced, then a refill, then running the system, then bleeding the air released from the water as it is heated, then some more water added, repeat until there is no air (often over a couple days).

If you can at least perform the repeated bleeding and the stem has auto fill setup it will be less than repeated technician visits.
It is a small repair with a lot ofafter the fact activity.

While there appear to be some valves to isolate, they do not look extensive and simply moving the older valve with the square fitting may cause IT to start leaking (if it can even be moved or seal off).

You should not have copper lines joined directly to steel lines as it appears you have

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:33PM
jon-5b

I appreciate the help, guys. Adding water and bleeding air shouldn't be an issue for me. I had an HVAC company come out and check up on the boiler about a month ago, and while it wasn't wet at the time, they didn't say anything about the crappy joint or any evidence of leakage. This is the same HVAC company that bought out the people who installed it originally.

brickeyee, what steel lines are you talking about here? I thought I was looking at copper and cast iron.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 7:37PM
SnidelyWhiplash

I'm not an expert but I agree that the evidence of leaking looks like it's more than what could have happened in the last month. They could be playing dumb (they could be liable for bad work of prior company), or acting that way because that's how they are. Either way, their failure to bring this to your attention or fix it negates the value of paying them to come out.

I'd call another company.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
peoplelover
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™