Anyone Go From Screened in to Glass?

mustangs81April 29, 2010

Okay, first I'll vented. I have a 62' x 18' screened lanai (porch). For many years it has opened on to a lovely view of 10 wooded acres with delightful wildlife. Now someone is developing the land with a 5 bedroom 3 1/2 bath two story 5 car garage home!! This home is directly aligned with my house. During the construction I am experiencing a lot of noise and the construction vehicles churn up dust leaving all surfaces of my lanai covered with dirt. I anticipate the noise and dust to continue on a 24/7 basis when the family moves in.

I have asked the enclosure sales person numerous questions but wanted to seek out experiential information. The question is-does anyone have feedback to offer on glassing in the lanai? I am in Florida so I know the importance of ACing the area. Do you have regrets? What would you have done differently? Is it challenging to keep the glass clean?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whispertoo

I have glassed in a screened porch with sliding glass thermopane units. These are set on a 24" high knee wall topped with a 10 inch wide plate that makes a good wide sill for a glass or dish. Have had no problem at all. You can open them up easily for air or close them quickly if the rain or dust comes. I dont think they will muffle your noises completely though.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 11:04PM
mustangs81

Whisper, thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

I keep looking for a home I can actually walk in and get the feeling of a glassed in lanai/porch here in Florida. There doesn't seem to be many out there. I'm going to have to pressure the company to find a customer willing to let me look at their finished project.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 4:29PM
djd56

I am in the process of having my screened porch (located off the master bedroom) enclosed. I am using impact-resistant windows so I won't have to worry about hurricane shutters. I will share pictures if anyone is interested, but it is still a work in progress right now. It will have A/C for sure.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Bad Caulk Job- Need Advise
We had some structural work done to our front patio....
Vanessa Abbey
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Buckling Deck and Hidden Fasteners
I've got a deck that has expanded to the point of buckling....
ruben_d
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
Gemini Restore-A-Deck vs Woodrich Cleaner/Brightener
It's been awhile for me on this forum but I remember...
mike13
Sponsored Products
Surya Frontier FT-274 3'6" x 5'6" White, Orange Red Rug
$202.20 | PlushRugs
Free Pad New Runner Geometric Area Rug Vases Design Baluch Hand Knotted Wool
BH Sun Inc
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Metro Chocolate Brown 7 ft.
Home Depot
Fusion Cone Drop Shade Modular Bath Bar by Justice Design Group
$358.20 | Lumens
James R. Moder Maria Theresa Grand 19-Light 37'' Wide Chandelier
LuxeDecor
European Outdoor Solar Foot Rinse
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Nemo Italianaluce | AS1C Table Lamp
YLighting
MTI Lanier Tub (71.125" x 47.25" x 20")
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™