Cabinet pulls for DW a mistake?

sweetearth23March 21, 2013

Am I the only one wondering about appliance vs. cabinet pulls? I have a sample of a 6" Amerock pull for the cabinets and it seems very sturdy, but I've been told I should use the 8" appliance pull, which is 10 x the price. Sounds like overkill, but on the other hand I don't want to have a problem opening the DW.
Anybody regret using a cabinet pull on a DW?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakuvall

I use cabinet pulls on paneled dishwasher all the time.
Now I pretty much only put in European DW's- don't know if the others are tougher to pull. IF it is tough to open OR using a softer wood like Alder then you can add a small metal plate behind the panel.
I've never had a problem, my own DW is cherry panel with top knobs pulls and been there for 9 yrs or so.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:27PM
a2gemini

I used a cabinet pull on my giant pull out pantry - not sure about DW.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 8:09PM
cat_mom

We used 12" handles on our DW, trash cab (with foot pedal opener), and the over-the-fridge cab door. They work well for us.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:08PM
torontotim

A larger pull isn't going to magically make it easier to open a dishwasher :)

If your hand fits comfortably, a 6" pull is no different than an 8" pull. Only other difference might be the circumference of the grip - a larger grip will be more comfortable than a thin one.

But that being said, it takes next to no effort to open a dishwasher. So get the pull that looks right.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:44PM
dee850

I have a typical-sized cabinet pull on my DW. I considered a longer one, but had the same hesitation about price (I'm on a low budget here), and then the pulls I chose didn't come wider anyway. We've had them on for a few months, no problem at all.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:50PM
finestra

I have a 6" cabinet pull and it is fine. I would not go with a knob. Had that on the old one and it was too much weight for one screw.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:56PM
jalsy6

My d/w has an 8" cabinet pull from RH. I've had no problems given the fact that it's technically not an "appliance pull"...not sure if that helps.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:03AM
sweetearth23

That's great news, and thanks to all of you. The 6" handle is comfortable, looks fine on the DW, and would match the rest of the cabinets. I just thought that maybe because the appliance pull is so crazy expensive it's also 10 x better, or maybe runs the DW by itself by a hidden sensor ;)
As long as I don't have to worry about it pulling out of the cabinet I'm happy to save the money.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Glossy tiles in this Kitchen?
Please take a look at this kitchen layout and let me...
r2d2indy
Countertop help - Soapstone questions - Matte surface?
When I see pictures of soapstone, my heart goes pitter-pat....
lawjedi
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Ideas for backsplash???
We are making our way through a kitchen renovation,...
Jessica DeMay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™