Ground Sleeve for Posts ?

pbx2_gwApril 17, 2014

I know this question is not fully about Porches or Decks but it deals with in ground posts:

Is there an in ground sleeve that I can put into the ground to be able to slide the trellis out & in easier?

Background:
I have a decorative 3 sided wood screen/trellis that I have on the side of my house to shield a tankless water heater hung on side of house.

Trellis is installed in ground via 2 posts that holds the front panel. Side panel unscrews of the front 2 posts & only serves as balancers & side screening.

When doing maintenance on the tankless water heater, I can pull the posts out of the ground & the entire trellis can be removed for easier front access to the water heater.

However, getting the trellis posts back into the ground always is a chore & it doesn't go fully back into where it came out of...leaving about 3 inches of unpainted posts showing above ground.

I assume the trellis is fabricated with pressure treated wood 2x4's.

(sorry I don't have pictures handy at the moment to demonstrate.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

What about using PVC tubes sunk into the ground? You'd need a size whose inner diameter was about the same size as the diagonal of the post.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 7:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pbx2_gw

weedyacres (My Page) on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 19:38
What about using PVC tubes sunk into the ground? You'd need a size whose inner diameter was about the same size as the diagonal of the post.

Great idea ...I had been thinking something plastic but hadn't thought trying to fit a squared off 'peg' into a round hole...you get what I mean LOL!

Time to start looking! Thanks!

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™