final choices on deck materials

dsommerlApril 5, 2010

I am re-doing an existing cedar deck---the skelaton--infrastructure is wolmanized lumber and in great shape.

I have my contractor secured--here's where I am with some questions

House is all white (painted redwood siding and wood trim)

Want to make the deck look like an estension of the house (vs a "pasted on" cedar structure as now.)

Decking is to be cedar

I have read too many bad things about the synthetic decking materials---which ever brand. My research tells me that cedar--despite the need to clean and seal every couple of yrs is really not any more maintenance that synthetics which also need periodic cleaning--plus a cedar wood deck can be made to look new (can sand out any stains---etc etc). Contractor agrees with my assessment

Trim--railing--skir boards lattice etc are to be white (to make this thing look like an extension of the house). Plus I want as maintenace free as possible--railing and trim boards

QUESTION---This is where I'm confused---Contractor is advocating Timbertech radiance railing---but I'm reading that the PVC/cellular material is maybe superior--longer lasting--easier to clean etc. my understanding is the Timbertech is composite. I think Aztec offers PVC--

Which is the better "look" (most like wood)--how about maintenance and longevity?

QUESTION---then there is an option to go with aluminum powercoated---metal type material for the railings. Would this be a better alternative--(easier maintenance--longer lasting?? BUT---what material (white color) would then match best in appearance to a metal railing system?

AGain---natural cedar decking--and everything else white.

WHAT are my best combination/s of materials Any brand recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks

More Discussions
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™