Uses for a variable speed pump

txx3ddq442April 12, 2012

I'm expecting a bid from my pool builder in the very near future. I've asked him to include a variable speed pump (VS-FHP2.0).

It is my assumption that to minimize installation cost and monthly electrical usage, the pump should be used to filter the pool, supply the spa jets and deck jets. I've seen discussions where a variable speed pump may or may not be a viable replacement for a Polaris booster pump (any thoughts on this?)

The Jandy controller [PDA-PS8] would actuate valves and send the correct speed to the VS pump for each "mode" (i.e. pool, pool+deck jets, spa, spa+deck jets, pool+cleaner, etc.)

Are my assumptions correct? In other words, if he comes back with additional pumps for the water features and spa, should I call "BS" on him?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Most Polaris sweeps should use the 3/4 HP booster that is fed by the pool's circulation system.

I would use all one manufacturer's gear if this is a new install. If the PS-8 is existing, check to see if the U/G for the firmware is worthwhile to you.

If there is a spa, having a separate pump for the water features is a good idea. It lets you use both at the same time. Otherwise, the water feature will be drawing water from the spa till it's empty.

Some PBs like having a an extra pump in the spa that turns on when in spa mode or if there are more than 8 jets. These systems often have a separate pool return in the spa that shuts off in spa mode too.

Scott

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™