Experience with Saniflo?

palimpsestDecember 6, 2010

I am thinking of making an offer on a 200 year old house. On the third floor there is a toilet in the stairwell, which is behind the house proper. (These are row houses with rooms in front and a narrower wing in back that is all stairwell).

The adjacent third floor bedroom, which is in front and to one side of this lone toilet cubicle would be the best place for an additional full bath. However, the pitch of the existing horizontal stack would raise it above the floor level with the additional length.

Does anyone have experience with the Saniflo macerating pumps that allow bathrooms to be put in basements and remote from stacks? It would only be a few feet to this stack but without something like this the entire stack might need to be changed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saniflo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

You have already answered your own question.

"It would only be a few feet to this stack but without something like this the entire stack might need to be changed."

Per code the pump type systems may only be installed in instances where a gravity flow drain cannot be achieved. It it can be done by changing the existing stack, that is your only option.

In addition, before you begin planning to connect a water closet to that stack you need to know how all the fixtures below are connected. If there are presently any unvented fixture arms connected to that stack you would need to install auxiliary vents on those lines as well, because code prohibits connecting an unvented fixture arm to a stack at any point below the discharge of a water closet.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 3:55PM
palimpsest

Thanks for the information. I would really rather have a gravity drain.

I looked at the pictures I took and I think that another option would be to used a rear discharge wall hung toilet such as made by Duravit with the Geberit in-wall concealed tank system.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 1:08PM
palimpsest

There is something called the Philadelphia single stack system that allows multiple fixtures to connect to a single vented stack with fixtures up to 12' and toilets up to 8' feet away. Each fixture (or group of fixtures) does not need an individual vent. There do not appear to be any unvented fixture arms because the current single toilet is within this combined radius, and the other fixtures all surround the primary vent.

However, the new bathroom, although adjacent to the existing lone toilet would put the new toilet at least, outside this radius. However I would not have a problem venting this as needed. It may actually make sense to run a new stack and eliminate the part of the stack that runs horizontal/diagonal through the stairwell.

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Sponsored Products
Chinoiserie Euro Sham Pair by DwellStudio
$69.00 | Lumens
Whitlock Dining Chairs (Set of 2) - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
NuForm 9-inch Twin-size Firm Memory Foam Mattress with 2 Bonus Memory Foam Pillo
Overstock.com
Hillsdale Brookside 7 Piece Rectangle Dining Room Set w/ Oval Back Caster Chairs
Beyond Stores
Tub Wall-Mount Faucet with Metal Hand Shower - Lever Handle - Polished Nickel
Signature Hardware
Malibu 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Espresso Turquoise
$1,309.00 | LexMod
Vitra | Skape Lowback Chair
YLiving.com
Arcade Outdoor Solar Floor Fountain
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™