pressure = fuzzy even with pro? and they used bleach

toadangelApril 22, 2009

i have peeling solid light grey stain on a pressure treated deck that the previous owner applied. I decided not to try to strip it since it was taking way too many chemicals. I hope to be able to use a darker solid stain over it & probably replace the top boards in several years. I decided to pressure wash the deck to get loose stain & dirt off. it was not moldy/mildewed as far as i could tell.

I had read that in a novice's hands, a pressure washer can cause fuzz on the wood, so i hired a company who did the wash yesterday. there is fuzz on the spindles and some of the tops of the railings. is this normal from a professional job as well?

also, they told me over the phone that they use a "mildew cleaner" that wouldn't harm my pet or plants. once i got home i could tell it had been bleach. isn't that a no-no in that it harms the wood?

I want to know how much i should complain, or how justified my frustration is.

thanks,

lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cooked

It's almost impossible to not raise the grain (create fuzz) when pressure washing. The older the wood, the easier it is. You won't notice it after awhile as it darkens again.

Bleach won't harm wood. Unless they used extremely concentrated, plants should be fine as well. If all your surrounding shrubs and grass die within the next week, give them a call.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 9:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toadangel

thanks very much. that helps to put my expectations in line

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™