Loud Bang... and then No Hot Water in tub

mscheffDecember 6, 2011

While running my bath water last night, I heard a loud bang and couldn't find the source of the noise, until I realized that the hot water was running slow and sediments were draining from the faucet. Eventfully the hot water ran out, DH and I checked the plumbing this AM only to find a small opening with little viability to solve the issue. Before we call a costly plumber, any suggestions on what caused the loud noise and resulting loss of hot water. I have cold water in the bathtub and hot & cold water throughout the house just not in the bathtub. I love this GW and hope someone can help with this hot water issue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I don't know what you mean about finding "a small opening with little viability to solve the issue." What are you looking at?

In any case, since this only affects the bathtub, it probably means that something came loose and plugged the line at the bathtub faucet. If you are somewhat handy, dissassemble the faucet to get at the washer or cartridge. If this sounds like Greek to you, it might be simplest to just call a plumber.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 3:41PM
jakethewonderdog

I also think something came loose and clogged the hot water line at the faucet.

I second the suggestion to turn off the water, then disassemble the faucet and you will probably find a big chunk of lime in the hot water opening.

You may also have a clogged anti-scald valve if it's newer.

You might try flushing it backwards first before taking it apart:

1. turn off cold water supply to hot water heater. If the heater is electric, turn off the breaker too.

2. Open a hot water faucet - such as a laundry tub - or the Pressure relief valve on the water heater. Don't use a kitchen or bathroom faucet for this.

3. Place a wet rag over the tub spout and hold it in place

4. Open the hot water on the tub

5. open the cold water on the tub

Water should run through the hot water side backwards and flush the crud out of the faucet.

6. Turn off the tub, close the hot water faucet that you opened in step #2, turn on the cold water to heater.

7. Open the hot water tap to see if it works. Purge any air out, then turn on the breaker to the water heater.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 4:35PM
mscheff

Your suggestions were helpful, good news we got slow flow in hot water in bathtub, but the bad news the others faucets are now slower which leads us to believe there is something blocking the pipes. Next step, drain the hot water heater, replace the heat element and clean out the sentiments as this may be what are breaking up and clogging the pipes.

Again thanks for your help, any other suggestions! This forum has been awesome...go GW!

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™