Planning PEX Pipe/Manifold

eferriniDecember 27, 2011

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advise on planning my PEX project. I am planning to use a home-run system with copper manifolds (1/2", 12 cold, 6 hot)).

I figure that I'll buy the copper manifolds with the 3/4" inlet. However, the main water line to my house was replaced last year with 1" PEX coming into the house. From there everything is galvanized that I'll be replacing with PEX.

Is it okay to continue the 1" PEX pipe all the way to the hot water heater, then split the 1" into a 3/4" to the water heater and 3/4" to the cold PEX manifold, then run the hot water heater 3/4" over to the hot PEX manifold? (so basically, is it a bad idea to split the supply line before it gets to the manifold, even if it's a 1" line?)

We are in a 1,000 sqft house with 2 bathrooms. Is it overkill for me to run 1" pipe at all? Would a 3/4" main line that then splits to the hot water heater and cold manifold work out just fine?

Thanks for your advice as I start my PEX project. I am looking forward to getting started.

Tony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Yes, you can run 1" to the water heater and make the split as you describe, however, before you do anything towards desiging your PEX system I would strongly advise you to download a free copy of the PPFS (Plastic Pipe & Fitting Assoc) PEX Installation Manual.

The manual is a free download in PDF format and it will not only answer your immediate question, it will give you all the tables and design parameters to correctly design your system.

http://www.ppfahome.org/pdf/PEX%20Handbook_draft_rev_2008.pdf

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 3:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eferrini

Thanks for the suggested reading. I found a good basic installation guide from Zurn. I'll take a look at this one, too.

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Can i have a pan put under a water heater that is aleady installed?
I dont have a pan under my water heater and i fear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™