no hot water in tub in unused bathroom?

kayla47December 28, 2012

I have a large house 4 bathrooms one bathroom no one ever uses the tub. Well I had a lot of company and this bathroom was used and no hot water in the tub what can cause this the sink had hot water? I also have 2 hot water heaters and one of them has some corrosion on the top what I think is a vent pipe. I don't know how to tell if it is working
or not. The bath hadn't been used in 13 years but I still don't understand why no hot water. What can I do to fix problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pima74

I had the same problem in a bathroom that we rarely use the tub/shower. It has a Moen single handle control valve. I had to remove the cartridge because the hard water had blocked the hot water port. Once it was cleaned I now run the water briefly one a month or so to keep it operational.

Assuming you have a cartridge type control, You might try "exercising" the handle a number of times to see if that loosens the scale.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaskitchentoo

This happens with positemp Moen cartridges. The 'shuttle' that reacts to pressure changes gets locked to one side. I've had to repalce mne twice. Some have been able to remove it and knock it and loosen up the shuttle. If you shake it you might hear it go back and forth. My ultimate solution is to never buy one of these Moen plumbing fixtures in the future.

FYI.. that cartridge can be very hard to remove. Do yourself a favor and go to HD and buy one of those cartridge extractors. Make it much easier. And if your plumber were as bad as the one hired by my builder, your valve body may not be attached to anything inside the wall and pulling on that valve could damage the pipe. The extractor will prevent that. It is not that expensive and it sounds like this will happen to you agin.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
smudgecat99
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Drain assembly help
I need some help on hooking up the drain on my new...
dellapor
Sponsored Products
Vigo Bathroom Glass Vessel Sink in Oceania and Olus Wall Mount Faucet Set in
Home Depot
Whitehaus WHKN1065 Ceramic Rectangular Above Mount Bathroom Basin Sink
$169.00 | Blue Bath
Lush Decor Lillian Turquoise Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Wave Bath Bar by Norwell Lighting
$343.80 | Lumens
Ovalesque Single-Arm Wall Sconce
$172.80 | Bellacor