Patio Ideas - tying in to slightly elevated covered patio

mjwkr2000April 10, 2014

Hello, first time posting in this forum. Spent a lot of time posting/lurking in the home building forum on GW. We moved into our new home in November (in MI). Now that we are thawing out we are starting to see the projects lining up outside. Our home is on 2.5 acres and has a wonderful wooded back yard. We designed the house to have wonderful views from the great room, through the covered patio so we were really trying to avoid putting up any railings on the patio. However, the patio is probably 24" at its lowest point and 40+" at its highest point above the finished grade. We are trying to figure out what to do. We would like to have a ground level, uncovered patio area incorporated and have some steps added to come down from the covered area. We were thinking about doing some elevated planters around the covered porch area that would "guide" guests to the stair case. Again, this would be to avoid putting up a railing. My concern is if people cannot clearly see where the stairs are they may step off the patio in the wrong spot. here is a picture of the rear of the house and patio in question. I am looking for some ideas/tips.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Congratulations on your new home.

Most likely there are building codes that set requirements for safety railings. Here it is 24". Like you, we didn't want an accidental fall so installed tempered glass so as not to block a view while providing protection.

We installed "landing-style" steps for easier egress by senior citizens and secure transport when carrying things between the house and patio.

As to building a patio, I suggest waiting a couple years for the backfill to fully settle.

I've linked photos of ours Hope this helps. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patio and Back Lawn

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™